[Rhodes22-list] Advice / Recommendations - Purchase of used Rhodes 22

SwampFox Austin.Abel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 10:09:46 EDT 2017

Well I live in New Orleans, so I can't be much help there, but I will tell
you that you couldn't be looking at a better boat for beginners. I stepped
on a sailboat for the first time 15 months ago, bought my Rhodes 12 months
ago and haven't stopped learning and having fun since. Everything on the
boat is intuitive, and as long as you have done some reading and understand
the basic principles, you'll be able to have fun almost immediately. I say
almost, because if your anything like me, the first sail will be more nerve
wreaking than fun.

In your position, I would want to see the boat in the water before buying
it. There are a few spots on the boat which have a tendency to leak if not
cared for. All can be easily fixed, but you don't want to find them on your
first sail. Fortunately, its a positive flotation boat, so would wouldn't
find yourself on the sea bed, but it would put quite a damper on your fun.

I would also recommend going ahead and replacing your furling lines if you
have the slightest question about them. They're cheap to replace, and its
worth the money to know for sure that you can get your sails back in if
you're uncomfortable.

Other than that, just know that boats are expensive. The Rhodes 22 holds up
really well, but I wouldn't recommend buying any boat at all if you are not
prepared to drop an additional $2k for unknown or unforeseen issues.

I am far from the most experienced sailor on the List, but if you have any
questions or concerns along the lines of being new to sailing or boat
ownership just give me a call or shoot me a text at 864.884.7147 or email me
at austin.abel at gmail.com. Since I'm still pretty new myself, I have probably
asked a lot of the same questions you are thinking through right now and can
relate to your current position.