[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the mast with Stan's hoist system

Bruce Mackey bmackey at charter.net
Wed Mar 29 17:55:03 EDT 2017

I'm not so sure about disconnecting the forward shrouds.  Once you have the
mast up, I recommend you make sure the chains are removed and the shrouds
connected securely without the chains while the winch is locked.  Then you
can release the winch and set the jib.  Really pay attention to the order of
the steps here.  Once the chains are removed and the shrouds reconnected
without them, the mast is secure (assuming the winch and  back stays are in
place.)  If you forget to remove the chains and reconnect, the mast can come
crashing down when you release the winch.  You don't need to ask how I know.

Bruce
s/v Tuxedo
Traverse City