[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the mast with Stan's hoist system

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Wed Mar 29 20:51:07 EDT 2017

All very good suggestions. I might add, just before starting to crank the
winch to lower, check the surrounding water for vessels that could throw a
wake and ruin your day. On the same note as anything dropped , belongs to
Davey Jones , watch the tubes from the mast to the upper stays. They
should be held fast by a screw on the bracket on the mast, but maybe not.
Just watch they don't fall out .
 If When your almost all the way down with the mast , and the lower
shrouds get tight and the winch gets easy,before the mast rests in the
crutch. You either picked the wrong link on the extender or didn't loosen
up the turnbuckles enough. On my boat , I have to loosen the turnbuckles
about eight turns to get the correct length to land in the crutch just
right.
  Two years ago , I got tired of messing with the turnbuckles and made a
pair of spring- loaded extender brackets that let the shrouds tighten
when the mast gets about a foot above the crutch , as the springs
compress, it holds the mast centered as it falls into the crutch.
  Take your time and be safe.
Jerry Lowe

One more related question -- the photos and video I have seen all show