[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the mast with Stan's hoist system

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Mar 29 21:39:24 EDT 2017

On the subject of strength of the crane system, please be sure that the
winch line is secured well, on both ends, and that the deck cleat is firmly
attached to the deck.  When the mast is below 40 degrees from horizontal the
winch is carrying the greatest load.  It is at this point that the system is
most vulnerable.  I have always felt better hoisting the mast than lowering
for the simple reason that if the winch line has any trouble initially on
the way up, you just settle the mast back down into the crutch.  When
lowering the mast, you are committed to move quickly if you encounter issues
to securely find the crutch while avoiding unnecessary sideways movement of
the mast.  I have found that a pair of lightweight lines tied to the outer
upper shrouds, about 6 feet above the deck, can be used as a pair of reins
to steer the mast when necessary.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY