[Rhodes22-list] IMF Main Removal

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Oct 30 16:30:00 EDT 2017

I suspect yours is similar to what ours was on Fretless. I've documented
it before  and I'll put what I can find from the list archives as links
below.

Basically the main is attached to the furling tube inside the mast
either by being inserted into a slot in the tube and held at the top by
a piece of webbing through an eye or (in earlier models) being attached
directly to the tube itself. The 'doughnut'  at the top of the tube
keeps it in place but is not attached to the mast itself so it spins
freely within the mast (no swivel, no halyard) and once you've undone
the mechanism at the bottom of the mast, it slides right out. Your
mechanic is right - it is a proprietary GBI design (Stan's) and he won't
see it on any other boat.

This link shows both top and bottom (the 3rd photo is the top) with the
tube out of the mast.
http://rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2015-July/078200.html

I've attached a couple of other photos I took the same day. Guess I
should do something that could go permanently on the rhodes22.org
website as I have to hunt this up whenever the question arises and I
never get the same thing twice.

Hope this answers your questions,
Mary Lou
formerly R22 Fretless