[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Rebuild

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Apr 23 13:53:25 EDT 2018

Mike,

If the coupler is not straight I would replace the extension portion and put
a new coupler on it.  My 1981 extension failed as I was backing the trailer
and boat down a ramp.  When I applied the brakes, the front of the trailer
went up as the stern came very close to the tarmac.  The extension bar bent
mid span.  When the vehicle motion stopped, the tongue weight brought the
bow back down and bent the extension bar back.  With a 20 pound persuader I
was able to slide the bar back into the receiver and launch without the
extension at high tide an hour later.  Once the trailer was home, it was a
simple matter to replace the 2"x2" bar stock and attach a Walmart coupler
(non-braking) with screws.

I am not sure what the Triad trailer with coupler activated brakes is like
so I am not sure if it may fail in a similar matter.  Does it extend for
launch and recovery?  How would that be done with hydraulic brakes?

Mike
s/v Wind Lass  ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY