[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the mast

Curtis Ruck ruckc at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 21:54:05 EDT 2018

I don't have the General Boats nice/new mast raising lowering kit, but i
have what appears to be a DIY raising lowering kit that works very well for
single hand lift in low wind.  in higher wind i just get a bystander at the
marina to hold one of the shrouds against the wind for balance.

The 2x4 on the mast end, is concave, to grip the mast, with a cheap ratchet
strap to hold it against the mast.  On the other end, it has two loop
brackets.  On the top side, i just attach the main sheet, and have the
other end secured.  On the bottom side, it has a line going from a cheap
dinghy trailer winch through a block/pulley going to the fore stay
attachment point.

I attach the rear shrouds before raising so once its up, i can pull against
them and the backstays to keep it from falling to one side or the other.
then I quickly attach the rest of the shrouds, then the forestay/furler.

It is a very very simple system.  I've raised lowered in 10 knots of wind
without significant issue.  I've heard. the GB system can raise/lower in an
hour.  I can have this boat ready to sail in 2 hours.  I'm not sure what
optimizations Stan made in his system to have a sub 1 hour time... maybe
the in-mast furling?  Maybe quick adjusting stay/shroud rigging screws?  It
takes me 45 minutes just to get all of the shrouds/stays adjusted right.  I
do not believe my 1979 Rhodes sails good with loose rigging.  I've
typically adjust them to 200 lbs.

--
Curtis