[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jan 23 10:39:54 EST 2018

Hi Rick,
It's interesting how we have such different experiences. I wonder if the
differnce is where we sail.

We got the UPS with the hope that it would make the very light air days
(4 - 5 knots) on the Chesapeake more fun. On those days, the 175 would
slat, flap and collapse on itself - sometimes from its own weight and
sometimes from the powerboat chop which can be constant on weekends on
the Upper Bay. The UPS made a big difference in those conditions and we
used it a lot.

A few years before we sold Fretless, we had the Sunbrella UV protective
strip on the 175 replaced with a lighter weight material and the the
sail behaved better in light air. We didn't use the the UPS as much
after that but sometimes would pull it out just because we had so much
fun with it.

I forget what that UV material that we had put on the genoa was called
but it was white, lighter weight and attracted dirt. It didn't look as
good but the sail behaved a lot better in very light air.

Mary Lou