[Rhodes22-list] Wet in the Med

Stan Spitzer stan at rhodes22.com
Sun Jun 24 17:25:11 EDT 2018

CG,

"covered under warranty"; it depends:

A shadowy figure of few words walked up to Elton and me at the Miami
Show.  Said he represented a Columbia farmer.  Handed us a wad of cash
and told us to leave a Rhodes at the Tampa pier on a day certain.  A
great customer.  Never had a single complaint.  That was more than 20
years ago and that boat is still under warranty.

When two scientist knocked on my door one night on Long Island and told
me in spurts of understandable English they needed me to come to the
USSR to show them how to build sailboats, the first stop after leaving
the Moscow airport was a cemetery. I explained I was to be the first
American allowed into their space facilities, not the first to grace
their celebrity grave yard.  Showing me Khrushchev's sculpture stone, I
was told that being allowed in this particular hallowed real estate was
considered an honor.  When word got out I went to Purdue, they waned to
shake my hand; wow I went to the school that put the first man on the
moon. I explained I had absolutely nothing to do with that since he had
not gotten their by a Rhodes, I just wanted out of their cemetery.

The one thing I did come away with:  While they did not think much about
our cars, they fall apart after a few years, they thought we made the
best sailboats in the world, they last forever.  If any of that
propaganda extends to the Med and you get tired of retiring, we need a
partner to handle that part of the world (and all the rest). Roger Mac
Gregor (who knew when to retire) told me 30% of his sales were export
and so far we are 99.9998% behind reaching his balance. I did not want
to forget the one that went to Lima.

stan