[Rhodes22-list] POP TOP ENCLOSURE

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Thu Mar 15 11:59:01 EDT 2018

When Stan was recycling my boat in 2016, he did not have a pop top enclosure (PTE) on hand, so I made an inquiry here on the list and purchased a used one from a member (thanks Marvin). I sent it to Stan, who made sure that snaps were installed on the cabin in the appropriate locations.

Initially, I set it up every night I was at anchor.  It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to set up; a little longer to take down, since it has to folded very carefully to fit in its storage bin.

As time went on, I’ve used it less often.  If conditions are pleasant, I just don’t bother.  There’s little benefit, and I don’t mind dropping the pop top while I’m sleeping to keep dew out of the cabin.  Another consideration is that the enclosure greatly reduces ventilation, even with three screened panels (two windows, and the door.

But if conditions are less pleasant (cold, windy, buggy, rainy), I will gladly take the time to set it up, and like the Bimini, I consider it to be essential equipment.

Unlike a Bimini, a folded PTE can be shipped pretty easily.  The best sources would be Stan, or a member of this list who has one they’re willing to sell.  In either case, obviously you be talking about a used piece of gear.  To have a new one custom made would be pretty expensive, I’d guess.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)