[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Purchase

Gary Novotny gjnovotny at comcast.net
Mon May 14 11:57:46 EDT 2018

Kim,

The Rhodes 22 is a great boat which I highly recommend.

The decision to purchase a new (recycled) boat vs a pre-owned boat
involves trading off money for your time and effort. A recycled boat is
likely to be more trouble free in the first few years of life than a
used boat will be. The work to bring the boat up to snuff has already
been done and the labor and material costs associated with that have to
be recaptured by Stan along with some margin for profit. If you are
willing and able to do much of this work yourself you can save money by
purchasing a used boat. Just realize that that you are making a
commitment of your own time and material costs to do the work yourself.
Only you can determine where your budget, available time, and recycling
skill set balance out against a new (recycled) boat purchase.

I decided to buy an older Rhodes and recycle it myself and I spent
almost two years doing this. I learned a lot of valuable skills
regarding boat repairs such as electrical, fiberglass repair, rigging,
carpentry among other things. After doing that, my wife and I spent a
number of years just enjoying the boat. That said, recently when it came
time to move up to our next boat I decided to limit my search to those
boats that required less work up front. Remember almost all boats are
money pits it just a matter of degree.

I you decide to buy used, you can google "used Rhodes 22" and I'm sure
you'll find lots of boats available. Alternatively, I'm sure Stan has
less expensive older recyled boats to choose from.

I hope my comments give you a few points to ponder as you narrow your
purchasing focus.

Gary

1978 Rhodes 22 Moon Shadow

1987 Corsair F-27 Blackfish