[Rhodes22-list] Mast Stay and Deck Compression

gjnovotny at comcast.net gjnovotny at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 14:04:26 EDT 2018

I had a problem with the strut on my 1978 Rhodes. In my case the
compression post sat originally on top of a floor strut which was lightly
tabbed to the hull and was faced by a poured slab of ballast in the front .
The floor strut was rotted out due to water intrusion from the leaking
forward ports saturating the ballast. As a result  the compression post
depressed down about 1 and 1/4" until it rested firmly on top of the ballast
preventing  any further depression.

 I was able to fabricate a new strut by creating a template from the
remnants of the old one. The new one was epoxy impregnated and heavily glued
with thickened epoxy to the face of the now dried ballast material and also
well tabbed to the hull with multiple layers of 1708 biaxial and epoxy
resin. I did this without removing the compression post. Instead I used a
floor jack and a 2x8 to raise the liner above and slightly beyond the
desired elevation and I fitted another sized 2x6  to hold it up while I
worked. I ground out several delaminated spots in fiberglass covering the
top of the ballast and fully covered it with  3 layers of 1708 and epoxy
resin. I created a apx 12x12" plate of epoxy impregnated 3/4" marine plywood
and a smaller 3x5" plate of epoxy impregnated  1/2 marine plywood. The
compression post now sits on top of the floor strut but also mostly on top
of  3x5 plate layered on top of the 12x12 that's glued to the biaxial on the
top of the ballast to distribute the load.

 I haven't seen any problems with the compression post in the three years
that followed the repair.

Gary
1978 Rhodes 22 S/V Moon Shadow.