[Rhodes22-list] Mast Stay and Deck Compression

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 19 10:30:33 EDT 2018

There are a number of posts in the archives regarding repair of the floor
struts under the compression post.

On older boats, including mine, the support struts (or whatever they are
called) compressed -usually because they were rotten and/or the compression
from the mast was too great due to making the rigging to tight.

In my case, I had to remove the compression post and bulkhead to replace the
whole strut. For other reasons I replaced all of the floor stringers and
replaced the floor while I was at it. In any event, If I understand the
problem, you need to start at the bottom to make the repairs.

The fact that the liner appears to have been removed suggests that the deck
coring in that area also rotted out. Replacing deck core can be a fairly
major task depending on how extensive it is.

Graham

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario