[Rhodes22-list] Mast Stay and Deck Compression

Rick Lange sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:03:43 EDT 2018

DJ,

My '93 boat was made using about a foot square solid wood plate under the
mast step.  The plate was glued on three edges to the plywood bow deck
core.  This isolated the plate from the core, preventing dry rot from
spreading from the plate into the core.

Access to the area under the mast step is best from below by pulling down
the cabin liner.  If you have a plate, you can cut it out and replace it.
If you don't then you can cut out the core and make a plate to fit.

It is not a good idea to repair the wood directly supporting the mast step
with epoxy because the mast step screws need to pull out easily during a
mishap.

Regards,

Rick