[Rhodes22-list] Vang bail

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 09:41:34 EDT 2019

I just added a vang to my R22.  I picked up some used blocks from the local
sailboat shop along with some line to thread through for the vang.  I ran a
dyneema line through the horn cleat at the bottom of the mast on the port
side with a small loop on both ends that attach to a snapshackle on the
bottom block of the vang.  When I take off the vang, I leave the dyneema
line tucked around the horn cleat, since my topping lift is no longer tied
around that cleat (it's run to the cockpit instead).  I riveted an eyestrap
to the bottom of the boom to hook a snapshackle on the other block.  I plan
to only use the vang this when sailing with pop top down.  Due to issues
with my boom hitting the backstay (apparently my boom is longer than
normal), I added another hole in the mast which results in the boom being
about 6" lower.  I'll be trying out the new setup today.

Photos for reference
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190817_184220.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190817_184227.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190817_184237.jpg>