[Rhodes22-list] R22 capsize in Force 10

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 10:24:45 EST 2019

If the Rhodes has as “design” flaw then lots of Rhodes would have had these
problems over the last 60 years.  Anybody? Anybody?  I’ve owned a Rhodes
since 1976. Mine did actually capsize. Of course it took a tornado to knock
it over while anchored in the “pot” on Poplar Island. According to my buddy
who was aboard and another eyewitness off the boat: The mast hit the mud
(12 ft deep) and the boat “pole vaulted” up then slowly drove the mast into
the mud. Did the boat right itself? Nope, So technically a capsize. It
popped right back up when we detached the stays and tabernacle pin. The
entire weight of the boat was focused on the mast step. No structural
damage. Design flaw?  Can’t think of any other boat that would have
survived as well as the Rhodes. Do I trust the Rhodes?  With my life.  43
years and more than 10,000 miles of ocean, river. bay, and lake sailing I
still am sailing the Rhodes.
Chris Geankoplis
ENOSIS