[Rhodes22-list] GBI Furler available and photos Re: GB Furler Picturers and Parts

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jul 5 15:42:02 EDT 2019

Hi Ken,
Comments and answers embedded in the text.

On 7/5/2019 1:39 PM, SpringHollow wrote:
> Hi Mary,
>
> Your furler looks exactly like mine I think except the bottom of the rope
> drum is disconnected on yours and I am missing the top piece.
Yes the bottom of the drum is disconnected. I don't recall if there were
screws holding the bottom on or not. The tube seated in the depression
and the furling line went through a hole in the base and was knotted to
hold the line there.

> Was the top of the sail just screwed to the pole using a metal loop or like
> on another design where they just used a screw (with washer) going through
> the sail grommet into the pole?
I was thinking there was just a screw going through a webbing tab sewn
to the sail and then screwed into the tube but  there are two holes in
the tube top and bottom so there may have been a u-shaped tang or small
padeye threaded through and webbing strap and the padeye screwed to the
tube. It was about 15 years ago that we last used it and I'm just not sure.

> Mine has a D-Ring installed above the rope drum.  I see screw holes above
> yours as well.  I am assuming the bottom of the sail is attached to the
> d-ring on mine with rope or hardware.  Depending upon the length of the
> sail, I could see using these to set the tension.  Does this sound correct?
Noting the amount of time that has passed, yes it sounds correct.

> I assume the width of the disk is to limit the height the tube can rise and
> to have a soft surface if it hits against the mast.  Yours is 2 piece.  I am
> not sure what the advantage of that is since hardware can not pass through
> the lower rope drum.  Though it would allow one to more easily replace the
> bushing with a  split bushing when it is worn down.
I don't recall the the furler being able to rise on the headstay but I
don't recall why it couldn't

> When I make it, I
> might drill large holes through mine to reduce weight up there.  That would
> be stronger and easier than trying to hollow it out.  With the pole 1"
> diameter, it looks like your disk is 3" diameter.
The upper piece is in two parts and is not quite round more like a
square rounded off unevenly. It is 3 1/8 across one way and 3 1/4 the
other . The diagonals are about 3 1/2 but one is less than the other.

Glad this was of some help
Mary Lou

---