[Rhodes22-list] Crack in Transom

JP Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Fri Jun 28 10:24:03 EDT 2019

Jim,
I've just had the same problem. I don't know the cause but here's how I
fixed it:Raise motor, if still on lift to point where it begins to tilt to
take pressure off of the plate.  Remove the lower phillips screw in the
guide plate and swing plate to left. My Rhodes has plywood reinforcing on
the inside so I couldn't get to both sides. I didn't need fiberglass mat,
just a West Epoxy System repair kit. Grind out rough edges of crack and sand
surrounding area with 60 grit paper. Mix epoxy and with the syringe, force
epoxy into the damaged area. Add thickener to the remaining epoxy to a past
consistency and spread into the damaged area. I'm surprised that there is no
reinforcement on the inside of your lazarette! "Respite" was recycled in
2005. My guess is that the motor lift was added at that time. I still need
to get some dark blue epoxy paint. Any suggestions from the List?

I don't know what caused the damage, but suspect the guides that follow in
the metal tracks are shot. Hopefully, it will last through the season. I'd
appreciate any evaluation or comments on my repair process. My first venture
into hull repair.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Transom_Damage.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Transom_Damage_Sanded.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Transom_Damage_Epoxied.jpg>