[Rhodes22-list] Crack in Transom

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sun Jun 30 10:41:00 EDT 2019

If you don’t want to or can’t reinstall the thru hulls; then, you might consider plugging the hole with a commercially available product called G-10.  One tradename for G-10 is Garolite.  G-10 is a composite material made of epoxy and glass fiber.  G-10 is very hard and stiff.  You can purchase sheets of G-10 from US Plastics in various thicknesses.  Get a piece of G-10 to match the transom thickness.  Cut out the botched repair job in the transom with a hole saw.  Cut a plug from G-10 to fit the hole in the transom.  Laminate a piece of heavy fiberglass cloth to one side of the plug with epoxy.  When the epoxy has cured, laminate the plug into the hole from the inside of the lazarette compartment using the fiberglass cloth as tabbing to attach the plug.  Fill in any gaps between the plug and the transom on the outside with thickened epoxy, sand it smooth, and paint to match the transom.

But, I’m still curious where your cockpit seat drains are plumbed to?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium

Sent from my iPhone