[Rhodes22-list] Water tanks

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 5 08:36:21 EST 2019

When I rebuilt my Rhodes I considered building tanks for both water and sewage holding. After doing my "research" I decided against it as there seemed to be too many cautions about the safety and reliability of the tanks and I didn't want to have to disassemble my boat again should the tanks need to be removed. In addition I was concerned that it would be a difficult task to properly service and clean built-in tanks.

I was able to find a poly holding tank that fit perfectly in the 11" space behind the V berth foam and also left room for my boat battery (I only have and need one battery). I had to add a plywood bulkhead immediately aft of the flotation foam to give me something to attach the tank and battery shelf to and also build a shelf system that fit in the odd shaped space (see picture). It made sense to use a poly tank that could be easily removed.

As for water, I decided in the end to use a water-grade plastic jerry can  ($20) that I put under the sink in the galley and held in place with a strap. It is not as attractive as a hidden tank but it is very convenient. (I have attached a picture.) With the jerry can I can easily take the can to the water rather than bring the water to the boat which, in my case,  is infinitely easier. I fill the tank at home and bring it to the boat rather than depend on the questionable water quality and delivery systems of water at marinas. In my case I don't use a marina at all so I would need to take my boat to the marina for water and that would be a pain. I just remove the tank and store it in my basement for the winter so I don't need to worry about freeze up and it is very easy to clean and sterilize the tank at home.

The "best" system depends entirely on your situation and use of the system so what works for me might not be feasible for others but I have come to the conclusion that the easiest system is the best one for me - not that I have taken my own advice on that point for anything else I did.

Graham