[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes didn’t come with an anchor

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Fri Nov 8 21:51:49 EST 2019

Allyn,

Ah, the anchor rode.  A simple question for which I don’t have a simple answer.

My first solution was to keep using the 2.5 gallon bucket from the Home Depot paint department.  When it came time to anchor, I would carry the bucket up to the bow, attach the rode to the anchor, and then drop the anchor.  To save a few seconds, and to avoid having to carry tools to the bow, I’d generally use a locking carabiner to make the connection.  The carabiner was likely a weak link in the system.

I’m developing a new approach in which the rode is stored in the stern of the boat, but remains connected to the anchor more or less permanently.  The anchor would be both deployed and retrieved from the cockpit, even though the anchor itself would never be further aft than the bow roller.  Rode storage would be in bags suspended under the combings in the aft outboard corners of the lazarette.  This last feature remains to be implemented, and I won’t be attempting that until spring.  I describe aspects of the system in the following video starting at about 2:10 — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ebeJZUslk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ebeJZUslk>

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)