[Rhodes22-list] S/V Silverheels Bow Sprit/Anchor Roller

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Nov 9 08:47:02 EST 2019

Hi Peter,

I watched your video tutorial on the Bow Sprit/Anchor Roller.  Interesting concept.  I have 2 comments:

  1.  Are you going to leave the clear epoxy finish on the bow sprit?  The reason I ask is because epoxy has poor UV resistance.  It would be better to protect the epoxy with a coat of paint or at least marine spar varnish.
  2.  The bow sprit seems to have been left with a “dead space” under it.  You have threaded your roller furling control line thru this space.  (Interesting Fairlead!)  But, are you concerned the roller furling control line will eventually chafe thru the epoxy coating?  Also, won’t this dead space under the bow sprit collect dirt & crud and be very difficult to keep clean?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium