[Rhodes22-list] Trailering and storage of the R22

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Nov 11 15:02:43 EST 2019

Charlie,

On the subject of tie-downs:

I do use them.  They’re not expensive (especially relative to anything else you might buy for a sailboat).  They make me feel better.  With a bit of practice they only take a few minutes to put on, and less time to remove.  They may be required by law (I’m just speculating, I don’t really know).

My dual axle Triad trailer (new in 2016) has 4 attachment points for tie downs.  I use a pair of 2” wide cargo straps with built in hooks at the ends and a ratchet mechanism.  You can find them on the Home Depot web site.  They have 14’ and 27’ models.  I’m pretty sure the 14’ would be too short.  My straps are 18’ long.  I think they were originally longer, and I shortened them.

One strap goes across the bow, and one across the cockpit.  In my case the back strap goes just aft of the winches.  Some sort of chafing protection near the rub-rails would be a good idea.

On winter storage:

I leave my sails furled.  I leave my batteries on the boat, though I do disconnect everything from the positive terminals.

Welcome to the list.  Where are you planning to sail?

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)