[Rhodes22-list] masthead light - steaming vs. all around

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Nov 12 21:17:56 EST 2019

Jesse,

I can’t help with the LED replacement question, but…

When I picked up my recycled boat at General Boats in 2016, it had a steaming light a few feet down from the top of the mast.  My plans for the boat involved a lot of overnight anchoring, and not much in the way of night sailing or motoring.  I put a 360 degree anchor light on the top of the mast and moved the wires to power it rather than the steaming light.  On the rare occasions when I do motor at night, I’ll leave the anchor light on.  I don’t think this is quite legit, since the light pattern from the stern is not right, but I don’t lose any sleep over it.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)