[Rhodes22-list] masthead light - steaming vs. all around

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Wed Nov 13 00:52:30 EST 2019

Jesse,
If finances permit, I would replace that whole unit with an all around led
anchor light. It looks like the lenses are starting to fog from UV
exposure. I would guess that your light is a converted incandescent light
with led bulbs. The metal contacts that deliver the volts to the bulbs are
the weak point in that set up. If you trailer sail it's no big deal to
change the bulb or clean the contacts, but if you don't drop the mast all
season, it cuts into sailing time. I would also recommend a steaming/deck
light combo for the front of the mast. Its great if you have to anchor or
set up the pop top enclosure after dark.
Has anybody had an anchor light failure (with an led bulb) from dirty
contacts?
If any of this interests you I can show you how to control two lights with
two wires.

Jerry Lowe S/V Country Rhodes '86

Jesse,