[Rhodes22-list] Who Can Join The List?

Todd Tavares tavares0947 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 14:52:20 EST 2019

To Stan,

The hoping the fence thing was all tongue in cheek. LOL  means laughing out
loud

No malice intended. I would have to break out paper and pencil if you want
specific answers to every specific questions but I will try later.
I probably should just remain silent. Thats the advice I am getting back
channel from a few of the longer standing list members anyway, but

I have always openly voiced opposition to the C of S program.

Some backstory: After early on I was openly schooled, scolded, ridiculed
and  only then being clued in on the limited scope and scale of GB ,
(2000ish?) ...after getting my nose out of joint when you wouldn't honor my
request for parts and construction details. Paraphrasing you here...'not
having ever put one thin dime in my (your) pocket'...I got the picture. I
got it...really I did.
And I've still got the nasty-grams and the insult letters to prove it.
So I don't think I have ever asked you for anything ever again.
I don't need factory support. If I can't it fix it or build it myself,
well....(credentials omitted)

Over the years I have, by direct email or other ways forwarded info to you
back channel about boats for sale. A few you have bought for recycle and
resold for profit (hopefully) putting thousands and thousands of dimes in
your pocket...but I never paid for a C of S.
For this, you have joked in the past that I already have an honorary C of
S. You ended the program recently--unannounced it seems-- just when I was
about to stroke the $31.50 check for the real C of S afterall ....hence the
joke about just when ...about jumping the back fence ( the "honorary" C of
S), but now wanting to go legit and give you the $31.50. Bad joke obviously.

While I think the C of S has a purpose as far as you business survival is
concerned, I think it is ridiculous. But thats my personal opinion. I have
been on this list since before it left Sailnet. You and I have had a couple
back-and-forths ourselves...all in good fun though, or at least I thought
so. You're from NYC so you must have thick skin.

Regardless of all of this, list members do in fact come down on folks who
want to sell their boats on the list and not patricipate in the C of S
program. I think that is wrong. Still there remains an atmosphere that this
is the GB list. It gives the message that we need to pay GB for the
privilege of telling other list members we are selling our own boats.
List charter or not, members still bully other or potential members. See my
admins can't control that and its not GBs doing either. But hopefully this
conversation puts it in the spotlight.

BUT still I think I have supported you over the years, often times siding
with the Zealots here. I commented in protection of GB toward Art over the
boom room thing. I commented against Chris C. too, for advertising about
his latest business. This is after having met Chris in person, knowing
something about his and his partners' business offers for GB, and Chris
even gave me a set of cockpit fill cushions. Again I should have listened
to the Old Guard's back channel advice and kept quiet and privately
apologized to Art and Chris C. Its more about advertising for business...on
the owner's list...that motivated me, more so than protecting you. Or at
least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'll  try to hit some questions having not researched:
>>Some one should reach out to the guest who was chased out for trying to
sell their boat without the C of S, which is what started this conversation.

>> about frustration part,  I can make a guess.
It could have been that I understand the frustration of confronting the
negative list commentary, scrutiny and humiliation?
Or from another comment I made:
Also, I am researching a bigger boat for a project. I try to visit other
owners lists for info...like what are the problem areas I should check when
looking at boats for sale...keel posts, chain plates, blisters, etc etc
etc. Some of the other owner's lists are private closed lists and you can't
even join or ask a question unless you submit your hull ID #. Unwittingly
they (other lists) have aided in my decision to look at a different type or
mfg. The things reportedly going on here most likely have the same effect
on potential future Rhodes owners too?? I can only speculate.

Todd T.