[Rhodes22-list] gasket for mounting solar vent

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 22:08:48 EST 2019

I am putting in a solar vent in the 3" hole over the anchor locker in the
bow.  It comes with an inner gasket that goes right around the 3" hole - no
problems there.  It also comes with a larger gasket that is the size of the
outer diameter, which is 9".  The above deck piece has threads and there is
a piece that screws onto that from below deck, which tightens and secures
the fan to the deck.  The problem is that when I have that screwed tight,
the edges of the fan assembly are too high due to the way that the deck
tilts down from the center of the boat to shed water.  You can see where the
scissors in between the bottom of the fan and the outer gasket illustrate
that gap showing that the outer gasket is not high enough.

Obviously I need to make sure that I seal this properly to prevent a water
problem.  I picked up a 9" silicone gasket meant for pressure cookers that I
could use.  I attached a photo with that and the normal gasket.  Now that I
think about it, I can probably just do the larger gasket.  It seems like
this may work but I wanted to check and see if anyone else had ran into this
and see if there are any suggestions before I proceed.  Once I mount it, I
plan to seal it with some adhesive/caulk but I haven't finalize which
product to use yet.  I've seen warnings on the list about 3M 5200, but I'm
not sure what would be the best alternative.

Any recommendations regarding what type of gasket / sealant to use would be
much appreciated.

Another question, do people tend to leave the fan on continuously?  Crawling
up head first into the v-berth to turn it on / off is not particularly easy.

Thanks in advance for any input.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/TopView.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/FanGaskets.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/FanUnderside.jpg>