[Rhodes22-list] cabin sole overlay

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 19 08:49:05 EST 2019

I expect that the floor will hold up well. The instructions for vinyl plank flooring specify a pretty narrow temperature range as expansion and contraction due to temperature change can result in the seams between the planks separating. However, I put a vinyl plank floor in my motor home and it seemed to do well through our very cold Ontario winters. Only one of the end seams opened up a bit and that was across the longest strip which was about 22'. The smaller the area the less of a problem that should be and given that the sole of the R22 is so small I would not expect this to be a problem especially if the floor Is left to "float" and is not fastened down anywhere.

The biggest problem for me would be to not have access to the bilge without removing the floor. I need to access the bilge regularly to remove water. It might be possible to create access doors through the vinyl but that would need to be experimented with to see if such panels broke up the integrity of the floor so much that the strips would separate.

One bit of advice I noted when researching the planks for the motor home (where this material is used frequently) was to avoid installing the floor on particularly hot days as shrinkage  when the temperature drops will be more likely to separate the planks. The reverse problem might occur if the floor was installed in very cold temperatures but I can't see anyone doing this in sub-freezing temperatures.

Another alternative for the Rhodes sole, and the one I employed, was to install vinyl sheet flooring and installing it with contact cement on 1/2" ply epoxy coated floor boards. The epoxy preserves the wood but also eliminates contraction and expansion through moisture absorption. Of course they are still subject to thermal expansion but I suspect that form of expansion is much less. I put in three access panels where they were most useful. I then glued the vinyl to the panels and access doors and then reinstalled the floor in the boat with pan head bolts with finish washers that screwed into threaded inserts. This arrangement allows me to remove and replace the floor boards entirely if necessary without creating new screw holes, or making existing screw holes larger in the stringers.

Once the inserts were installed I coated all of the stringers (which were made with pressure treated deck boards) with epoxy to preserve them and eliminate moisture expansion. You can see in the picture attached where the wood inserts were located. For the outside edge attachment to the stringers I used aluminum L extrusions that were bolted to the plywood cabinetry/stringers and then used aluminum inserts for the floor board bolts. The use of L track allowed me to lower the floor slightly and by using 1/2" flooring I was able to increase the head room about 3/4" - which when you are 6'3" tall actually matters.

The big question I had, and one no one I spoke to could answer, was whether the glue would hold up over the winter and whether the flooring would wrinkle. As with the planks, the manufacturer specified a narrow temperature range - well above freezing - for the flooring. It has now been three years and I am happy to see that in spite of months of freezing temperatures it seems as good as when it was installed. I assume that coating the floorboards thoroughly with multiple coats of epoxy helps with the adhesion but that is largely theoretical.

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario