[Rhodes22-list] cabin sole overlay

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 20:23:59 EST 2019

Graham, thanks for sharing the details about your project along with the
photos.  Your cabin sole project was obviously well researched and well
executed - definitely a few levels up from my simple overlay with the vinyl
planks.

One note about the vinyl peel and stick planks is that I put some heavy
objects on the planks after installing to make the middle portion stick
well.  I think they will mainly stay in place due the fact that they fill
out the entire floor.  We'll have to see effect temperatures have on
expansion and contraction.  Since it is a small area, hopefully it won't be
too large.  I installed the vinyl planks in temperatures of upper 50's.  For
a few months I am keeping my boat in a warehouse.   A few of the local
sailors leased a section of a rundown warehouse in an old industrial area,
and then rent out a spots at $100 / month per boat.  They keep it at 50
degrees but you can turn up the heat when you're there working.  It's a
great setup to be able to work on some projects outside of the sailing
season.

Regarding access to the bilge, I have a small access panel (see attached
photo) so I can get to the bilge pump and from there I can see the front top
of the centerboard.  I assumed that access panel is standard, but perhaps
that was added by the prior owner.  Fortunately my bilge has been dry thus
far.  If I need more access than that, I'll have some bigger issues to deal
with and peeling up the vinyl planks may be the least of my worries at that
time.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/bilge_access.jpg>