[Rhodes22-list] Deploying And Retrieving Anchor from Cockpit

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Oct 19 17:51:27 EDT 2019

George,

This approach sounds familiar. I think there may be something similar described somewhere in the archives, but that doesn’t mean it would be easy to find.

I don’t see anything fundamentally wrong with the concept of the ’tag line’, but I’ve got concerns about how the anchor rode itself is to be managed.  The rode is described as being ‘firmly attached at the bow’, but when was it attached, and how much rode is there between the attachment point and the anchor (the scope)?  However much has been allocated for the scope, there should be a lot more anchor rode available in reserve.  Where is that? Is it secure?

I don’t think the concept is unworkable, but there seem to still be details to be worked out.

In my first year with my boat, I played around with deploying and retrieving from the cockpit, but found that it was much easier to deal with the anchor while standing on the bow.  If you’re in an anchorage that’s so rough that you’re concerned for you safety on the bow, it’s not a very good anchorage.

—Peter