[Rhodes22-list] Several Questions about a New-to-Me Rhodes 22

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sun Oct 20 22:45:59 EDT 2019

Allyn (or Baker),

Welcome to Rhodes 22 world.  That is a lot of questions.  I’ll take a poke at a few of them, but first…

Since you found this list, I’ll assume you found the home website (rhodes22.org).  There’s a FAQ section there that has a lot of nicely categorized information.  Also, the history of this email list going back to 2002 is browsable and searchable (rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/).

1) The two small solar panels that I’m assuming came with your boat are enough for most people.  The simplest thing to do would be to try to replace your cracked units with similar ones.  I, for better or worse, am not ‘most people’ when it comes to my Rhodes 22, so while I have installed a 100 watt panel, I found that was not enough, so now I have 2 of them.  I make YouTube videos about my boat which you should be able to find by searching for ’s/v Silverheels’.  For solar installation info, look for episodes 29 and 60.

3) Why do think you need a bilge pump?  I do a lot of cruising, and I don’t have a bilge pump.  I do get some water in the bilge.  I’m pretty sure that for the most part it comes in from the deck/hull joint when I bury the rail.  I try not to bury the rail, but when I do, a few minutes with a sponge and a bucket takes care of the problem.  I could go on, but… most people who do install bilge pumps do tie them in to the sink drain with a ’Tee’ fitting of some sort.  I’m not sure what you mean when you say that ’no floor panels lift out’. The entire interior of the Rhodes 22 cabin can be removed.   You  just need to keep removing screws.

4) I’m not sure about the spreaders.  There’s a bolt that goes through the mast that holds the base of both spreaders in place.  I don’t see how one could be loose without the other.  In any event, tying the spreaders down when moving the boat is SOP, so the previous owner did nothing wrong or unusual in this regard.

5) I don’t see why the water line to sink would be in any way inaccessible, but I’ll use this as an opportunity to point out that not all Rhodes 22’s are identical.  It would be helpful to know if your boat has a fully enclosed head (i.e. has a door), or a semi-enclosed head (i.e. does not have a door).

6) Most Rhodes sails have been made by Doyle Sails.  I can personally recommend Chris Howes as a contact (chowes at doylesails.com).

7) There is no headliner in the usual sense.  General Boats prides itself on the number of molds used in the construction of the boat.  The entire visible interior surface is the product of one of those molds.  Nothing in the overhead or sides of the cabin is accessible. Fortunately, I doubt the anchor light wiring is in these inaccessible spaces.  Unfortunately, although you can probably get to the anchor light wires, you would probably have to disassemble most of the cabin to do so.  This is probably less work than you imagine.

8) Another list member has recently asked me for details about the Rhodes 22 mast raising and lowering gizmo.  He had wanted to buy one from Stan (General Boats), and Stan had said that he would bring one to the Annapolis show, but he didn’t.  So, I’m in the process of putting together that documentation, and I’d be happy to send you a copy as well.

So, there’s that. But we tend to be a reasonably sociable group here on the Rhodes 22 list (that’s why there’s a list), and we’re all left wondering about you, and your boat.  And believe me, we care about both.  A little more background information would be appreciated.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)