[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard noise

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 16:48:03 EDT 2019

I have always kept my board up at the mooring (14 years) and yes it does
clunk when the boat rocks in the waves.  This is normal to my knowledge.
Chris bought his new so supports this theory although mine were an '87
follow by an '83.  The other reason to keep the board up is the damage
potential if you ground it during a minus tide.  If the board hits bottom
when you are underway it just gets pushed up on the pivot and there is no
damage (I have done this).  However, if the board bottoms when the boat is
stationery the potential exists for damage as the board is jammed against
the sea bottom as it rocks up and down in the normal wave action.

*Stephen Staum*
*s/v Carol Lee 2*

*Needham, MA*