[Rhodes22-list] Reconnecting the Tabernacle Screws Following Sacrificial Failure

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 4 00:19:45 EDT 2020

Chris:

I understand now what you meant when you proposed moving the holes. That
would work, no doubt, but seems unnecessary to me.

All I did with the holes that were located in the wrong place was to fill
them with epoxy.

I expect that the base plate probably left some marks on the fiberglass that
should allow you to locate the plate properly. The other option might be to
carefully screw the screw into the hole without the base plate and see if it
centers itself. The hole might be elongated at the surface but might not be
so distorted at the bottom.

In my case I had neither old holes or marks to guide me so I made an
accurate template out of hardboard of the base end  of the mast and located
it by putting the sail track of the template over the pop top slider when it
was in the closed position. That told me where the mast has to be. I had
marked on the template where the hinge bolt was located and transferred that
location to the mast step. I then aligned the base plate with the slot
markings and marked the location for the holes.

When I place the screw into the epoxy I do it before the epoxy is entirely
cured. It is soft enough to take the screw much like wood and is more
forgiving. If you wait for the epoxy to cure the hole needs to be made with
a drill bit that is exactly the right size for the screw or you might find
it difficult to drive home and might actually break the head off the screw.
Epoxy takes about 24 hours to cure but is relatively solid in a few hours
and that is when you should drill the new hole and install the screws. Using
wood slivers would also make the hole much easier to drill but I would still
do it before the epoxy cured.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario