[Rhodes22-list] Radar?

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Aug 11 14:11:23 EDT 2020

Mark,

Well, I have that whole solar arch construct I built on the back end of the boat to support my two 100 watt solar panels.  As I recall, the radome is pretty light (~15 lbs?), so the arch shouldn’t have any problem supporting that as well.

Without an arch, I’d say a pole mounted to the transom would be the way to go.  I see a lot of sailboats with a radome mounted that way.  I think there would be room between the rudder and the swim ladder, without limiting the swing of the rudder at all.

—Peter

> On Aug 11, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Mark Whipple <mark at whipplefamily.com> wrote:
>
> Peter,
>
> How were you thinking you'd mount the radome?
>
> Mark
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:59 PM Peter Nyberg <peter at sunnybeeches.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’ve been thinking of the Furuno model DRS4W because the display can be on
>> an iOS device, so there’s no need to figure out how and where to mount a
>> display panel.
>>
>> Peter Nyberg
>> Coventry, CT
>> s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)
>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2020, at 11:54 AM, Mark Whipple <mark at whipplefamily.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think one of the great things about R22 owners is the interesting ways
>>> you all make modifications and additions to your boats - especially
>> because
>>> GB packs so much into 22 feet out of the factory. My recent trip to Mount
>>> Desert Island in ME had me dreaming of sailing Luna Mia up there. Some of
>>> you know that the Maine coast is prone to fog, due to warm humid air over
>>> land blowing over cold water from the Labrador current. It seems like
>> radar
>>> would be almost a requirement for cruising in Maine. So, has anyone put
>>> radar on a Rhodes 22?
>>>
>>> A little context: a while ago I purchased a Garmin 741xs bundle that had
>>> GPS with a multifunction display and an 18" radome. I was going to put it
>>> on my Nimble 30 but now I'm selling that boat.
>>>
>>> I think putting the radome on the mast would not be ideal because I
>> really
>>> don't want to add weight to it. So I'm thinking of a pole mounted behind
>>> the cockpit. I know that higher is better but everything is a compromise,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> --
>>> Boston, MA