[Rhodes22-list] motor broke away

Richard Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Wed Aug 26 10:14:15 EDT 2020

Cary
My ’84 GB mount broke on spring launch the year and my Yamaha 8 went in the drink.
I purchased a motor mount from West marine immediately so I could continue to use the boat with a spare motor I happened to have on hand.
Its a stinky smoky ’99 Merc 2 stroke, but it always starts and runs when it need it - well almost always.
I talked it over on the list and discussed with Mike Riter a plan to convert the GB mount to be equipped with a threaded gear (his sketch) so that the mont can be moved with a manual crank or an electric motor.
This would be huge advantage over the 6/1 tackle it came equipped with.
I’ve been enjoying the boat too much to stop and refine that design of Mikes - that’s a winter project.

In any case the parallelogram type mount works fairly well, it has pros and cons.
One of the biggest cons is that the moro in the down position is father aft of the transom and will cavitate and lose thrust in larger waves, especially with weight on the bow.
I will like the GB system (modified) over the alternative, but the West marine mount was easy to install and serves the immediate need.
(What I really want is an electric,  steerable, remote controlled, 20 hp sail drive mounted right behind the keel trunk.)
It’s doable for approximately one tone of money.

One way I use the boat is unusual.
I moore my boat 50 yards off shore.
I use a stand-up paddle board for a tender because it's light and easy to cary to the shore.
I then use the motor only, with the rudder up, to back the boat on to the beach to pick up  provisions and of course my wife, who is not one to paddle out to the boat.
Depending on the tide and the slope of the beach, I can sometimes put the stern right on the beach.
An opening in the stern rail, like the more modern R22s would be a huge asset for picking up passengers from the beach. (next year)
Ric
sv Dadventure
stay tuned for ‘motor mount mod’ updates

Richard Stott, AIA, LEED AP
www.stottarchitecture.com <http://www.stottarchitecture.com/>
Office	631-283-1777
Cell		516-965-3164