[Rhodes22-list] She floats!

Reuben Mezrich reuben.mezrich at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 06:58:19 EDT 2020

As I said before I had a Harbor 20 that was designed with a Hoyt boom (and
then Schock - a company known for racing sailboats) extended the design to
their Harbor 26 and Harbor 33). The Alarion 26, then 28 and 30 purchased
the design of their boat from Gerry Hoyt who had invented it in 1994 (you
can read the history here
<https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-reviews/alerion-28-express-used-boat-review>).
All of these boats are meant to be daysailers and from my experience
succeed in achieving their goal nicely.The Rhodes 22 with IMF should be an
even better daysailer, which I hope to find out for myself sometime soon.
The Harbor 20 could achieve hull speed in 15 knot winds but to be honest I
rarely sailed that fast. On my Island Packet in winds over 15 knots I would
often furl the jib and sail on just the staysail and main, enjoying the
ability to tack by just turning the wheel. The Harbor 20 had a tiller but
the same ease of tacking.
I know Stan has some thoughts (and some unique designs) for a self tacking
jib and perhaps he'll jump in.
--Reuben
Reuben Mezrich
Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Inner Harbor in Baltimore
Cell: 410-499-8922