[Rhodes22-list] Split Ring Alternative?

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Aug 29 11:01:40 EDT 2020

Jeff,

On my boat, the 1/2” long pin would be too short.  Maybe it could be made to work if the sides of the fork-like fitting on the bottom of the turnbuckle were squeezed together in a vice or something. The next size up is 1” long, which might be too long.

You definitely want something low profile for the upper and forward-lower shrouds, otherwise the the jib sheets tend to get snagged.

I had been using Jurgan tool free clevis pins (which apparently are no longer available) for my shrouds, but due to the sheet snagging issue, have gone back to regular clevis pins with pig tail rings.  If I was only raising the mast once a year, I’d use split rings or even cotter pins for peace of mind.  Pig tail rings have been known to occasionally work themselves loose, but I keep spares on board, and as you note on a Rhodes 22 the loss of any one stay would not result in disaster.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)