[Rhodes22-list] Installing a bulkhead compass

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Dec 22 22:07:11 EST 2020

It was nicely varnished.
As to your question, we installed it about 20 years ago before
electronic navigation was much of a thing. We were used to steering to a
compass heading and even after we got a handheld GPS, we would use it to
identify the course and note our position on a paper chart and then
steer by the compass. Now that we have the pocket trawler with an inside
helm station it's all Navionics on a Samsung tablet and then set the
autopilot and let it steer - but the tablet is always plugged in and
charging while we are traveling and the paper charts and compass are
close at hand in case of a failure. If we still had a sailboat, we'd be
navigating electronically but still steering by a compass.

Mary Lou
ex-R22
now Rosborough RF-246  Tara