[Rhodes22-list] masthead light - steaming vs. all around

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 10:10:48 EST 2020

Update on this project:

I decided to go ahead and replace the masthead light and I used the same
Perko model as before.  I found it on Amazon for $37:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FCI5IW
Like Jerry mentioned on this thread, the new lenses are much clearer on the
new light.

I also replaced the 4 pin electrical connector at the base of the mast since
that had some bent pins.  I used model #184226 from West Marine ($25) based
on Mike's recommendation on another post:
http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/Power-connector-at-base-of-mast-tt56281.html
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--four-pin-electrical-connector--184226

I replaced the bulbs that came with the masthead light with 31mm LEDs found
on Amazon for $10:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4CVK86

Wiring:
- when replacing the connector on the deck, I only saw one hot wire and a
ground
- there were 3 wires in the cable that runs inside the mast, but one went
unused
- I connected the hot wire at the top of the mast to the hot wires for both
the front and back LED in the masthead light, and then connected the ground
wire from the light to the ground in the cable at the top of the mast

Strategy for using the lights:
- now I have an all around anchor light at the top of the mast
- If I'm sailing at night without power, I'll just use the running lights
and turn off the mast head light
- If I'm using the engine at night, I'll turn on running lights and masthead
light but cover up the rear white light from running lights so the only
white light is the all around mast head light

In the future I could potentially add another switch and run a separate hot
wire to the connector at the base of the mast and have separate hot wires
controlling the front / rear of the masthead light, though I don't actually
plan on pursuing this.

Thanks for the suggestions from the group on this project.

Finished photos:
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/ReplacementLightOff.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/ReplacementLightOn.jpg>