[Rhodes22-list] installation of inline check valve for cockpit drain

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 09:45:39 EST 2020

Hi Graham, sorry for the delayed response.  It's been a busy few days.
Regarding your question, I tend to get a bit of water coming back up through
the cockpit drain whenever I have a couple of crew (or more) in the cockpit
with me, which is a lot of the time.  Maybe I'm waited a bit stern heavy
compared to normal.  I have a 9.8 HP Tohatsu on the stern and the engine is
not light, but it sure runs well.  I've tried using a plug at the top but
that has popped out when I tried it.  Maybe I just didn't get it secured
properly.

The water isn't a big deal, but the excess mainsheet tends to get wet as it
lays at the aft of the cockpit when I'm running close to the wind.  I liked
the suggestions for the inline check valve so I figured I would give it a
try.  I think I'm going to reinforce the bottom connecting tube (the red one
in the photos) just a bit more to be on the safe side.  I'll report back on
the results this summer.