[Rhodes22-list] installation of inline check valve for cockpit drain

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Jan 12 10:18:05 EST 2020

Jesse:
Seems to me that you are a bit stern heavy. You could check that against the
waterline. My only concern about either the plug or the check valve is that
in extreme circumstances you will want the cockpit to drain as quickly as
possible. If you were to take a wave over the stern the water from one wave
weighing you down only makes you more vulnerable to the next wave. I have
never had that happen to me but I know of another sailboat in my area,
without flotation, that sank under these circumstances as the second wave
went over the companionway step and filled the interior of the boat. You
might want to test the check valve to see if it reduces flow significantly.
Otherwise I think I would be inclined to live with a bit of water in the
cockpit.

My boat originally had drains in the back of the seats by the lazarette that
were only 3/4" and they would regularly plug up with leaves and dirt. I
replaced then with 1 1/2 hoses and thruhulls and replaced the mushroom
thruhulls in the seats with flush mounted scabbards. I think latter model
boats have the larger drains now.

Just a thought.
Graham