[Rhodes22-list] Recommendations? Where to buy replacement lines

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:29:48 EDT 2020

Hi Larry. I replaced my centerboard line a few years ago. I did it on the
trailer in the off season. Some boats have a block system that the line
feeds through but mine does not. It's just a straight shot through to the
diamond board and tied on to a little steel eye with a bowline. The
setee and the companionway step is one big piece so that has to come off,
and so while it was off I also ran new wiring to my bilge pump. My boat's a
1990 and the 60 or so bolts that secure the centerboard cap were phillips
head (!) and every single one was a struggle to remove. I had to clip a
vice grips to the nut on the underside and with two hands bear down hard
for 1/4 turn at a time. Not fun! The ones in the back were
especially challenging. Fortunately I have a big, salty vocabulary of
special words that helped a lot! I replaced them with hex head bolts which
were exponentially easier to put back in place with just a box wrench under
and a ratchet on top. Take care to tension the bolts evenly, working from
the middle towards the ends. Nice and snug but do not over tighten. I
didn't use a torque wrench or anything - just extra care to be consistent.
Luckily the big gasket was still in good shape and I just cleaned it up and
reused it and I've had no leaks. To lift the board out I fed a length of
bailing wire down either side of the board and then crawled under the boat
and twisted the ends together, forming a big loop. It made for a "handle"
to lift it out. Other than removing the original bolts, the project wasn't
too bad. I'll post a photo.