[Rhodes22-list] Getting the weight off the tires for winter storage

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 07:39:08 EDT 2020

Roger, good luck on your SCUBA and kayaking adventures!  It sounds like you
are making the most out of this summer despite the issues with the dam
failures.  From my sailing trip to Apostle Islands, I came to appreciate how
cold the water (and the air blowing over the water) is in Lake Superior.  As
I'm sure you know, the land based forecast only somewhat relates to what the
weather feels like over the water.  At one point while we were sailing, I
was wearing almost every item of clothing that I brought which resulted in A
LOT of layers.  What kind of wetsuits do you wear to stay warm for water
activities in the Great Lakes?  Perhaps the water will have warmed up some
by the end of summer.

We had a great time on our sailing trip in the Apostle Islands in June.  We
had plenty of wind and got the Jeanneau 33 to over 8 knots on a few
occasions: under full sail, with the first reef, and with the second reef.
There was barely any one out there when we were there so most of the time
there were no other boats in sight.  On the last day we left the anchorage
at Presque Isle Bay on Stockton Island and were beating into the wind as we
made our way back to the marina.  Once we made it through the narrow stretch
between Long Island and Madeline Island, the wind really picked up and we
had to drop sails quickly.  That was my first experience with a few waves
coming over the bow and spray making it all the way back to the cockpit.  We
were getting the remains of the Cristobal storm as it came north.

A friend had a trip planned to Apostle Islands with his wife to get
certified through ASA for bareboat charter, but his wife can't go and he
needed someone else to come in order to still do the class.  I did the ASA
103 and 104 in Kemah, Texas in February just before the pandemic hit, but I
could certainly use more instruction and time at the helm of a bigger boat
in bigger water, so I'm headed back to Apostle Islands again in early August
with my friend.  It will be interesting to see what the weather is like in
comparison to June.  This time we'll be on a Hunter 34.