[Rhodes22-list] questions regarding anchoring system / process

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Fri Jul 17 17:52:09 EDT 2020

Jesse,

Yes, for some reason people tend to have strong opinions on topics related to anchoring.  But here goes anyway.

The web tubing chain covering is among the latest additions to the system.  So far, it’s only been used on one week long cruise.  Way too soon to say anything about durability, though I think this material is popular with rock climbers, so I’ll be surprised if there’s an issue on that score.  There’s no hint of any damage to the deck, but then the system was in use for most of last season without a cover on the chain, and no hint of deck damage.  Perhaps the cover is unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.  I was worried about the possibility that the cover would track muck up from the bottom, but in several anchorages I used during my cruise, the anchor came up muddy, but the cover came up clean, so this aspect is looking good.
The lazarette/combing anchor rode storage bags are working well on the whole.  Sometimes it does take a bit of effort to get the rode to feed into the bag.  More vertical drop would be better, but then I’d need a bigger boat.  So far there have been no issues at all with the rode feeding out of the bag when the anchor is dropped.  Anything like a roller or fairlead does not seem to be necessary.
The wood floor of the lazarette is held in place by gravity alone.  It’s never shown the slightest inclination to shift.
Having the anchor rodes on deck has caused no issues so far.  On the other hand, I seem to be tripping over the jib furling line more frequently lately for some reason.
You raise a good point about having the rode disconnected from the anchor.  After my last cruise, I disconnected the rodes and stored them completely in the bags.  I figured that leaving the rodes on deck would result in dirt ’shadows’.  I was back on the boat today to do a few chores in preparation for my next cruise.  As part of this, I moved the boat from its mooring to the marina dock.  I did this without reconnecting even one anchor to its rode.  If my outboard had quit during the move, I would have had no quick anchoring option.   I should have connected a rode to an anchor.  Doing this the ’slow’ way involves an allen wrench and might take two minutes.  Having a ‘quick’ way seems like a good idea, just in case, perhaps involving a carabiner…

—Peter