[Rhodes22-list] questions regarding anchoring system / process

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:43:29 EDT 2020

Peter, thanks for documenting the evolution of your anchoring setup and
procedure.

After doing some anchoring this summer both singlehanded and with crew, and
trying some different approaches, I have plans to make some modifications
to my boat in the off season to make anchoring a bit easier.  There are
some differences between your boat and mine, as well as some of the gear I
plan to use but I like your overall concept.

For others that may not have seen Peter's videos on this topic, the ones
that I'm referring to are listed below.  It's possible that I missed some
of Peter's documentation on this topic that may be spread across some other
videos.

   - discussion of an earlier evolution of the system starting around 3
   minutes in on episode 77: https://youtu.be/j2ebeJZUslk
   - anchor rode bags to be stored in lazarette: episode 81:
   https://youtu.be/GheL7_fhpGo
   - overall anchoring system: episode 82: https://youtu.be/VeL_3Ir0yQ4

I had a few questions regarding your anchoring setup.  Your insight and
experience would help guide the design of my setup.

   - Have you found the tubular chain covering to work well in terms of
   protecting the deck?  Does the covering appear to be durable?  Does the
   chain covering track a lot of the bottom up onto the deck?
   - Does your rode storage in the lazarette / coaming work well in
   practice?  Does the rode come out of the deck pipe easily and flake into
   the bag you made without issue?  If needed, it seems like a roller could be
   added right in front of the deck pipe in order to act as a fairlead to
   position the rode at a better angle to go through the pipe
   - For the wood floor that you made in the lazarette (covered in
   episode #4: storage solutions: https://youtu.be/hXNDjEH-MYg), is that
   attached to the hull in any way or simply cut to fit and held by gravity
   and the gear on top of the floor?  I'm thinking about making a floor
   to help support the bottom of the bag that will contain the rode that I
   plan to store in the lazarette like your setup.  The floor could be useful
   organizing the rest of the lazarette as well.
   - When you are cruising, does it cause any issues to leave the rode on
   deck?
   - If you leave the anchor on the bow roller but put the rode back in the
   laz for long term storage, do you have a quick way to connect and
   disconnect the anchor and rode?

As I prepare and execute this project I may have some additional questions
for the group.  I'll post more details as it comes together.

I must say that I'm posting on this topic with some trepidation.  If past
threads on the list (and conversations with sailors in general) are any
indication, any discussion of ground tackle and anchoring techniques is
bound to stir up strong opinions.

Thanks,
Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr