[Rhodes22-list] Website Development

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jul 22 22:04:00 EDT 2020

Peter,
Did you sail over from New London?Mike.s/v Wind Lass ('91).Nissequogue, NY
-------- Original message --------From: Peter Nyberg <peter at sunnybeeches.com> Date: 7/22/20  8:48 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Website Development As I mentioned, the prototype replacement website that I developed was done with hand-coded HTML and CSS.  Naturally, this was done with an eye toward keeping the code maintainable and as simple as possible (but no simpler).  The prototype can be viewed at http://sunnybeeches.com/rhodes22/ and the code can be inspected by anyone who cares to.I’ll admit to not knowing anything about Wordpress, but two different people have thanked me for NOT using it.  So,clearly, opinions differ.—PeterCurrently anchored in Three Mile Harbor, LI, NY> On Jul 22, 2020, at 10:32 AM, Frederick Lange <sloopblueheron at gmail.com> wrote:> > Mark,> > Good advice.> > I volunteer to administer websites for some nonprofits and a club.  These> sites range from averaging 5000 visits a month to less than 100.> > Most sites I have taken on due to the previous admin leaving this world.> The absolutely worst nightmare is taking on a site that has been running on> a private server.  Next worst to transfer admin is a site on goDaddy, and> it is overpriced.> > The easiest is Wordpress.com.  It is very inexpensive for nonprofits who> don't sell anything.  For content management, it only uses Wordpress which> is familiar to many.  So new talent is easy to find.  And support is> non-geeky and effective.> > Regards,> > Rick Lange> > >> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 9:57 AM Mark Whipple <mark at whipplefamily.com> wrote:>> >> As someone who worked in IT for years before becoming a technology teacher>> I have one caution. Whatever you do, do it with the future list members in>> mind. Someone else is going to have to maintain this site down the road so>> I'd suggest favoring basic, commonly-used technology over cool new stuff>> with bells and whistles. None of us will be list members forever and we>> don't have any guarantee that anyone who joins the list years from now will>> have the skills that some of you possess. Just something to think about.>> >> Mark>>