[Rhodes22-list] Website Development

jfn302 at yahoo.com jfn302 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 08:29:35 EDT 2020

Wordpress has been around for a long long time.  I remember using it 20+ years ago.  They make the claim that it powers 1 in 3 websites including some of the largest news sites out there.

One of the benefits of Wordpress is that it takes the programming out of your hands.  The only thing you worry about is the content and the look and feel (theme).

It has a lot of plugins that make it easy to do pretty much anything you want on the site from a discussion forum to a storefront.

For simple websites it is probably overkill, but if you don't have to worry about things like programming and making it look good on both computers and phones, why bother?

I think the concern that Larry has about the tools going in and out of fashion is legit, but I doubt that Wordpress is going to go out of fashion within the foreseeable future.

The thing that seems to come and go are the plugins.  Developers may lose interest in maintaining a plugin so it may stop working if Wordpress is upgraded in a way that changes the hooks that the plugin uses.

I've had a few plugins that I loved end up disappearing that way.

So, when ever I build a web page I look very closely at the plugins I'm planning on using and how my data might be affected if it loses development before I decide to commit to them.  I tend to stick to the commercial plugins because they tend to stick around longer than non-commercial ones.

James