[Rhodes22-list] Website Development

jfn302 at yahoo.com jfn302 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 09:06:56 EDT 2020

Luis,

I would say that the only time I've experienced wordpress being a slug is in one of two situations.  Photos that are uploaded haven't been downscaled properly for web use.  Or, a plugin is causing problems.  Other than that, the core is stable and fast.

Wordpress comes with member registration, login and password reset built in, it can use oAuth in case it is decided that two-factor authentication is desirable.

Basic blog posts can be used as galleries, or there are gallery plugins that use CDN (content delivery network) for pulling the photos from Amazon S3.

There are plugins for managing mailing lists and archives, or it can link to the currently used archival system.

I'm in the process of building a web application right now for a new technology startup and the amount of work that I will have to do to achieve all this functionality by the end of the project is daunting to think about.  Currently it is just me and one other developer.  But that is something for later on in development, right now I'm just focused on making the service that we plan on providing 100% functional.

I'm sure you probably have a bunch of tools already built that you can just drop into place to build the website and it would be stable for the known future, but if a stable platform exists and offers flexibility and new features that may or may not be interesting to the community, why not take advantage of it?

James