[Rhodes22-list] Repair of Spider Cracks at Mast Step Tabernacle

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jul 27 22:20:50 EDT 2020

What I did was to drill out the holes to enlarge them and to remove a bit of the wood core to ensure that it was dry. I used a dremmel file bit to go through the hole and then enlarge the cavity in the core without enlarging the hole in the deck skin.

I then filled the holes with thickened epoxy. Once the epoxy set - but before it cures - I drilled out the hole for the new screws. If you wait for the epoxy to completely cure it is very hard to keep the drill bit centered in the epoxr filling as it wants to wander to the softer wood core. Using a brad point bit also helps.

I sealed the hole with butyl tape before I drove the screw in - which I much prefer to any other sealant for such situations as it seals very well but is easy to remove should the need arise - which it will.

If the cracks are very superficial you might get away with a crack sealer or you might open the cracks and apply epoxy filler. However, if the cracks go through the fiberglass you are best to grid out the glass and repair with fiberglass tape and filler. You don't want to give water a place where it can get into the core - especially in this crucial location.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario