[Rhodes22-list] Electric Motor

David Keyes rhodes22dave at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:54:37 EDT 2020

James, thank you for the information.  That gives me a good idea on needed electric motor power.  I would love to try the even smaller Torqeedo Travel 1003 3hp engine, but I think it would be too small.  It is rated for sailboats up to 1.5 tons, and I think the R22 is about 2 tons without people or other load.  The nice things about the 1003 are small size and weight—easy to carry on and off—and the small battery that snaps into the motor head and looks like part of the outboard.  It is relatively inexpensive, and with a spare battery, one is further protected from running out of power.  One 1003 video shows an owner that simply removes his battery each time and charges it at home.

Reading your story, I would be comfortable with the Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 R, which is equivalent to a 5hp gas motor.  The 4.0 R (8hp) is about the same motor size and weight, but requires twice the size and weight in batteries.

David